彼得·维兰德TED演讲(I will change the world)—异形:普罗米修斯

I am a law only for my kind, I am no law for all.

我只为自己制定法则,我不遵循众生的法则。——出自尼采《查拉图斯特拉如是说》,反映了尼采的个体主义思想以及对普遍道德和普遍规则的质疑。尼采认为每个人都是独特的,遵循属于自己的价值观和生活方式,不应该被一套普遍的、适用于所有人的道德体系所束缚。他在哲学中反对所谓的“普遍真理”或“道德绝对性”,认为真正强大、自由的人是超越这些外部规则的,他们不接受社会对他们强加的道德准则,而是根据自己的内在力量和意志,制定属于自己的规则和生活方式。体现了尼采对“超人”概念的推崇,超人是能够超越传统道德束缚、为自己制定法则的人。

T.E. Lawrence, eponymously of Arabia, but very much an English man favored pinching a burning match between his fingers to put it out.

T·E· 劳伦斯,人称“阿拉伯的劳伦斯”,其实是个地道的英国人,他很喜欢用手指掐灭燃烧的火柴。

When asked by his colleague, William Potter, to reveal his trick how is it he so effectively extinguished the flame without hurting himself whatsoever, Lawrence just smiled and said, “The trick, Potter, is not minding it hurts.”

他的同事威廉·波特问他有什么诀窍能如此高效地熄灭火焰还能免受灼伤,劳伦斯笑着说“诀窍在于不要在乎疼痛。”

The fire that danced at the end of that match was a gift from the Titan, Prometheus, a gift that he stole from the gods, who were terrified of what we might do with it were it to fall into our hairy little paws.

火柴上跳动的火焰是天神普罗米修斯送给人类的礼物,一件他从众神那里偷来的礼物,众神感到害怕,他们不知道当我们这些弱小的人类得到火种之后会做出些什么。

When Prometheus was caught and brought to justice for his theft, the gods, well, you might say they overreacted a little.

当普罗米修斯被抓到并为自己的偷盗行为付出了代价,众神的反应在我们看来可能有点过度了。

The poor man was tied to a rock as an eagle ripped through his belly and ate his liver over and over, day after day, ad infinitum.

可怜的普罗米修斯被绑在石头上,老鹰划破他的肚皮,啄食他的肝脏,反反复复,日复一日,永无止境。

All because he gave us fire, our first piece of technology: Fire.

只因他给予我们火种,我们人类第一项真正意义上的科技:火。

Such a very long time ago, which begs the question, what have we done with it?

这就引出了以下问题:自从人类取得火种以来,都做到了什么?

100,000 BC: Stone tools.

公元前10万年:石器。

4,000 BC: The wheel.

公元前4千年:轮子。

800 BC: Sundial.

公元前8百年:日晷。

9th century AD: Gunpowder. Bit of a game-changer, that one.

公元9世纪:火药。一项改变历史的技术。

1441: The printing press. Only slightly less impactful.

1441年:印刷术。有着近乎冲击性的影响。

19th century: Steam engine. Railway. Eureka! The light bulb!!

19世纪:蒸汽机、铁路。尤里卡!电灯泡出现了!!

20th century: The automobile, television, nuclear weapons, space craft, internet.

20世纪:汽车、电视机、核武器、航天飞机、互联网。

21th century: Biotech, nanotech, fusion and fission and M-theory and that was just the first decade.

21世纪:生物技术、纳米技术、聚变、裂变还有M理论,而这还仅仅是前十年的成果。

We are now 3 months into the year of our Lord, 2023.

我们现在已经进入2023年3个月了。

At this moment in our civilization, we’re on the verge of terraforming planets undiscovered just a decade ago.

在我们文明的这一刻,我们正处于对十年前尚未发现的行星进行地球化改造的边缘。

We have identified the genetic chain of events behind 98% of cancers.

98%的癌症基因链已被确认。

A chain we have broken effectively curing them.

现在我们可以治愈癌症。

We can create cybernetic individuals who, in just a few short years, will be completely indistinguishable from us.

我们可以创造出仿生人,假以时日,他们将和人类别无二致。

Which leads to an obvious conclusion: We are the gods now.

因此我们可以得出一个结论:现在我们就是上帝。

I haven’t been struck down, I’ll take that to mean I’m right.

既然来自奥林匹斯山的雷霆还未将我击倒,那我就将其视为结论正确的证明。

We wield incredible power.

我们拥有不可思议的力量。

The power to transform, to destroy and to create again.

足以改变、毁灭以及创造一切的力量。

The question of course before us is, “What the hell are we supposed to do with this power?” or more importantly one should ask, “What are we allowed to do with this power?”

而问题是,“我们究竟该如何运用这种力量?” 或者更该思考 “我们被允许使用这种力量做什么?”

The answer to that my friends… is nothing.

对此的答案,我的朋友们,是无所禁忌。

Rules, restrictions, laws, ethical guideline, all but forbidding us from moving forward.

规则、限制、法律、道德准则,这些都阻碍着我们前进。

Well, where were the ethics during the Arabian conflicts?

中东冲突期间道德伦理在哪里?

Why are rules preventing us from feeding impoverished cultures?

为什么规则阻止我们帮助落后的文明?

How is there a law that states if we build a man from wires and metal, a man who will never grow old, who will never feel the heat of a star or the cold of the moon, how is the creation of such an incredible individual considered unnatural?

凭什么法律禁止我们用电线和金属来创造一个人,一个永生的人,一个永远不会感受到星光的温暖和月光清冷的人,凭什么创造出如此非凡的个体要被视为是反自然的?

The answer to all these questions is simple.

这一切的答案很简单。

These rules exist because the people who created them were afraid of what would happen if they didn’t.

规则之所以存在,是因为创造他们的人害怕没有规则的世界。

Well, I am not afraid.

而我不害怕。

For those of you who know me, you will be aware by now that my ambition is unlimited.

对于那些了解我的人,你们可能已经知道,我的雄心是无边的。

You know that I will settle for nothing short of greatness, or I will die trying.

我只会追求极致,或是死在这条路上。

For those of you who do not yet know me, allow me to introduce myself: My name is Peter Weyland.

对于那些还不认识我的人,请允许我自我介绍:我的名字叫彼得·维兰德。

And if you’ll indulge me, I’d like to change the world.

如果任我而为,我将改变世界。